“This is a game changer for companies looking for a Chair or NED. A powerful FREE tool.”
Anthony Chadwick CEO Alpha Vet International
Register to post jobs to our network FREE
You're all set
You’re about to join an exclusive membership club of highly skilled and aspiring Non-Exec’s. No up-sells, no gimmicks, just the expert tools to develop your portfolio career.Only £149
LIMITED TIME OFFER!
Send message to The VirtualNonExec Team
Send message to George
Upgrade to premium to unlock job access
We do not scrape jobs from websites like others. You have my personal guarentee.
High impact Executive and Non-Executive Director with transformation, change and
risk governance experience in private, public and third sector organisations
I am a qualified Chartered Accountant who moved into IT project delivery and ultimately into IT Director roles. I am based in Scotland but have lived and worked in the USA, as well as working in over 50 countries for a global FTSE100 organisation.
George's Career History
SSF was established in 2000 & have created an award winning “Sport for Change” model that supports young people from early interventions right through to training & employment. Programmes are focused at different stages of development & target communities that are vulnerable or at-risk. Education through sport provides the platform to motivate & inspire young people to lead safe, healthy, active lives. My role as a Trustee is to define the strategy & identify alternative revenue streams.
STC is owned by a Private Equity Firm (Cairngorm Capital) & has been created by the acquisition of four independent Windows & Doors businesses. There are currently 38 branches & the plans are to expand to 120 branches in the UK over the next 4 years. Reporting to the MD, my main priorities are:
• Member of the Operations Board tasked with day-to-day running of the business & delivery of the business growth strategy.
• Developing STC’s digital transformation strategy. This includes working with finance to identify the locations for new branches, selecting business systems to grow the business & working with marketing on digital initiatives such as online ordering & loyalty schemes.
• Selecting outsourcing partners to deliver core IT services while retaining a small team internally.
Due to a Cairngorm Capital strategy change, STC has recently been made a subsidiary of the Customade Group (a separate Cairngorm investment). This group has 400 staff over 8 manufacturing sites &, as well as my original role, I will be Programme Director for groupwide digital transformation initiatives, starting with a corporate structure simplification.
Peak Scientific are an owner-managed business that manufacture gas generators from their premises in Inchinnan. There are almost 500 employees in the business who operate in 20 countries. In my role as IT Director, reporting to the Group CFO, my main priorities were:
• Member of the Operations Board tasked with day-to-day running of the business, delivery of the business strategy & roll-out of ERP to new countries as the business expands.
• Developing Peak’s digital transformation strategy. This included roll-out of mobile apps to service engineers & defining change management processes to ensure future project benefits would be successfully achieved.
• Enhancing the capabilities in the IT team. Restructured the IT team & recruited experienced resources (both contract & permanent) to deliver the digital vision.
• Worked with the engineering & marketing teams to introduce IoT capability. First delivery was partnering with a 3rd party to develop a mobile application & activation PIN to improve product registrations by service engineers at time of generator installation.
SportsAid is a charity that provides financial assistance in the form of grant awards to talented sporting youngsters who are already competing at national level in their age group & have the potential to represent Scotland at senior level. My role as a Trustee is to agree the distribution of awards to nominees.
Joined the RSM Consulting leadership team to help build the Technology Consulting practice in the UK. My main focus was on building capability in NetSuite ERP & developing partnerships with BI vendors (Microsoft, BOARD, Host Analytics & Adaptive Insights). Main projects worked on were:
• Seconded to a global media client for 6 months as Interim Head of IT Development (reporting to Global CTO)
• Seconded to a FTSE250 housebuilder for 6 months as Interim Head of Programme Delivery (reporting to Group CFO)
Sportscotland is the national agency for sport. They are the lead agency for the development of sport & have a focus on developing & supporting a world class sporting system in Scotland. It is a non-departmental public body, responsible through ministers to the Scottish Parliament.
As well as being a Board member, I am chair of the remuneration committee & a member of the audit & risk committee. My time commitment to this role is 12 days per annum & my final term runs until April 2021.
Main achievements to date have been investment in the Scottish Commonwealth Games team in 2014/2018 & redevelopment of Inverclyde facility into a fully accessible residential centre.
Aggreko is a FTSE250 organisation (FTSE100 when I worked there) that is the world leader in the supply of temporary power solutions. It is headquartered in Glasgow & has operations in over 80 countries. I held a number of senior positions during my time there (reporting to both the Group CFO & CIO)
Included 18 month secondment to Detroit, USA
Included 3 year CA training