“This is a game changer for companies looking for a Chair or NED. A powerful FREE tool.”
Anthony Chadwick CEO Alpha Vet International
Register to post jobs to our network FREE
You're all set
You’re about to join an exclusive membership club of highly skilled and aspiring Non-Exec’s. No up-sells, no gimmicks, just the expert tools to develop your portfolio career.Only £149
LIMITED TIME OFFER!
Send message to The VirtualNonExec Team
Send message to Hans
Upgrade to premium to unlock job access
We do not scrape jobs from websites like others. You have my personal guarentee.
Hans holds an MBA from Erasmus University Rotterdam. In 2008, Hans combined his passion for adventure travel and his expertise in commercial management when he became Managing Director of Sawadee Reizen in Amsterdam. In 2010, Hans moved to Toronto and became president and CEO of Quark Expeditions, the leader in polar cruises. In 2015 Hans took over responsibility for all adventure brands within TUI Travel, a business that was sold in 2017. In 2018 Hans became CEO and President of boutique luxury cruise start-up Victory Cruise Lines, a business that was successfully sold in 2019. Currently Hans is president of the international businesses of Albatros Travel, including Albatros Expeditions, Albatros Arctic Circle, Albatros Africa and Adventure Marathons, while he is also a trustee of the Safer Tourism Foundation.
Hans's Career History
Responsible for merging an Expedition Cruise company, African Safari Camps and DMC’s, Greenland hotels and DMC’s and Adventure Marathon Tour Operator to one international adventure travel business.
Responsible for managing, developing and preparing for sale a privately-owned boutique cruise line start-up, operating two 200pax cruise vessels, with a third new build vessel on order for delivery in 2021.
• Prepared company for sale and sold to American Queen Steamboat Company as from 1st of January 2019.
• Grew revenue from $11m in 2017, to $18m in 2018, to an estimated $32m in 2019.
• Sold the business with passenger bookings for 2019 at Dec 2018 44% ahead of actual booked passengers in 2018.
• Realized preferred partnerships with Ensemble, Cruise Planners, and Travel Savers travel agent consortia.
• Expanded distribution from US only to Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, China and Israel.
• Grew travel agent database from 164 to 21,600; grew direct consumer database from 1,800 to 24,000.
• Grew social media following, with a focus on Facebook, from 2600 to 9500.
• Relaunched website focusing on lead generation and SEO performance. Increased page 1 search results from 5 key words in Feb 2018 to 69 in Nov 2018.
• Launched travel insurance product; tighten booking conditions to generate cancellation revenue. Increased ancillary revenue from $0 to $225K.
Responsible for managing, developing and preparing for sale a global portfolio of nine adventure travel companies and eleven brands, ten direct reports, 500+ FTE indirectly, full P&L responsibility with £220m revenue, £13m EBITA
• Initiated and implemented global growth plan at Exodus Travels, expanded North-American organisation in Toronto and commenced BtoB business development plans. Delivered +30% international revenue growth to a total of £8.3m in FY17. Launched FIT “private adventures” unit in addition to group tours; first year revenue £2.5m. Introduced new reservation system & relaunched website. Total revenue growth from £46m 2015 to £63m in 2017.
• Grew Quark Expeditions in Asian markets by acquiring a local distributor, team and office in Beijing. Launched Mandarin website and championed WeChat social medium. Revenue growth from $9m in FY15 to $12m in FY17.
• Directed future fleet plan for Quark, including ship renovations, and new build design and yard evaluations.
• Delivered transformation at “World Challenge” after restructuring, reducing overhead costs significantly, and focusing team on delivering excellence in sales with a simplified customer journey. EBITA improvement +£1m.
• Excellence in customer experience, confirmed by industry leading net promoter scores (Exodus; 75, Quark; 76).
• Supported the "transition for sale" process of Travelopia (the TUI Specialist & Activity Travel Companies group), by developing ambitious 3 year growth plans for Exodus Travels and Quark Expedition. In June 2017, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) acquired Travelopia.