“This is a game changer for companies looking for a Chair or NED. A powerful FREE tool.”
Anthony Chadwick CEO Alpha Vet International
Register to post jobs to our network FREE
You're all set
You’re about to join an exclusive membership club of highly skilled and aspiring Non-Exec’s. No up-sells, no gimmicks, just the expert tools to develop your portfolio career.Only £149
LIMITED TIME OFFER!
Send message to The VirtualNonExec Team
Send message to Kay
Upgrade to premium to unlock job access
We do not scrape jobs from websites like others. You have my personal guarentee.
Kay graduated as a veterinary surgeon from Bristol University in 1988. She spent 25 years working in a variety of practices, during which time she developed a strong interest in how teams work and what motivates people.
She has worked alongside her partner James providing HR support to businesses for many years, and in 2014 left vet practice to focus full-time on their business Eight Legal. Eight Legal provides HR and employment law advice to SMEs, along with business consultancy to develop teams, communication, resilience and engagement.
She has recently completed an MSc in Organisational and Business Psychology with Liverpool University, gaining new insights into leadership, teams, change management and communication, which have been invaluable in Eight Legal’s business consultancy.
She retains a strong interest in the veterinary sector, particularly resilience, self-efficacy and well-being and how this impacts recruitment and retention in practice.
Kay's Career History
Input into the creation of a new app to connect SMEs with no internal HR function with human resource experts. Promoting the app in the media and social media and by extensive networking.
Eight Legal’s focus is providing practical, business-focused employment law and HR support to small businesses, primarily veterinary practices, mainly on a retainer basis.
• Day-to-day advice and support to our members
• Review and updating documents
• Copywriting – for articles in journals and on-line for various publications and organisations
• Producing newsletters for clients and other interested businesses
• Managing the social media accounts for Eight Legal
• Networking to engage new contacts, including delivering presentations
We also undertake consultancy work with veterinary practices, particularly focusing on aspects which affect the team, such as communication, leadership, feedback and managing change. Specific examples include:
• Setting up a new management structure in a large veterinary practice while minimising the resistance among members of the team.
• Facilitating management and board of director meetings, setting goals and holding senior figures to account
• Developing a continuous improvement system to replace a cycle of unproductive meetings with a dynamic, effective approach
• Review of current team in a large mixed practice, leading to a strategic HR plan including re-allocation of senior roles and dismissal of a disruptive employee.
From March 2017 – 2018 Eight Legal ran a project providing tailored advice and consultancy for a small group of our veterinary clients. As part of this, I organised a series of meetings with top-level speakers from a variety of backgrounds on subjects such as leadership, exceptional customer service and growth mindsets.
I have worked in a wide variety of practices, gaining extensive experience of different business structures and styles of management and leadership, becoming fascinated by the impact these have on team morale and motivation.
A highly capable business advisor. I have seen Kay operate, first hand and was impressed. I am sure she will make a superb NED.